A Quiet Heart
And God is answering my prayer. This week He's giving me a glimpse of what it means to be quiet. To not have to push my way. To not be anxious over to-dos and not-yet-dones... To rest.
I am at an event that requires my attention, my energy, and my time, and a lot of it, but I feel peaceful! I don't think it's just due to the fact that the job is so big and I can't possibly do it. It's more than that.
When my kids were young we subscribed to the parenting philosophy that kids should just eat all day long. Small meals, snacks some would call it. We had people who thought we were spoiling their appetite but I found that it just helped them grow and mealtimes were no longer a fight. In a similar way, I've been snacking on quiet times throughout my day. Short periods of solitude and rest have been part of my diet, though I know I should probably move to longer periods of time soon. What it's done though, is help me grow. God is showing me that actually when my heart is quiet and restful I get more done! I can discern better what it is that He wants me to do. I can more easily dismiss (still growing in this one!) the things that aren't done.
Quietness and Rest. Peace and Calm. All words that most people wouldn't use to describe me. Thankful that the Lord is giving me a sweet glimpse of what it means to live in this place. While my crazy hare-like tendencies are still there, I can see that God is changing me. So grateful .
For thus said the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, "In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength." (ESV)
Blessings and Gratitude for:
605. missing my kids so much that I'm praying for them all the time
606. a private worship session with my Lord
607. a word of encouragement that came when I needed it
608. a 30 minute play-date with my kids over skype (the emoticons are so fun to play with!)
609. wisdom and understanding for a situation that seems too hard to figure out
610. the truth that my identity is in Christ and I don't have to worry about all that I'm not
611. grace, grace, grace....