glimpses of hope

Went to a birthday party tonight for a friend. We celebrated the glimpses of glory we saw in him, things we saw the Father doing in his life, called out who he is becoming. It was a gift to him and it was a gift to participate in. I wondered what the Father thought of us as we talked. I'm sure He was smiling. If only you could see what I see.

Reading Mark 10 this morning I am moved by Mark's descriptions of Jesus toward those he encountered. The man in this morning's passage was the rich young ruler. He wanted to inherit eternal life, and he had to come to Jesus to find out just how he could do that. Mark says, "Jesus, looking at him, loved him..." The young man was disheartened by the way Jesus laid out for him. Leave it all, Jesus says.But it seemed too hard, impossible, really. It didn't really seem worth everything.

The longer I walk with Jesus the more I realize how little I knew of what was really being asked of me when I first started the journey. Today it doesn't feel like sacrifice. However, if you had told me that I would spend 17 years of my life in a country other than my home country I'm not sure what I would have done. Walked away? Like the rich young ruler, I might have wondered if the treasures of the world were worth giving up? An opportunity for graduate school at university I had dreamed of attending? Living close to family? Comfort of my home country? Friends?  Leave that all behind? 

Tonight as we named the ways we have been blessed by our friend, and the things we saw Father creating in him, I was amazed. These are but a few of the heavenly treasures that we get to experience here on earth as we walk with the Lord. The road may be rough, and the valleys deeper than we could ever have imagined, but He is worth our all, our whole life.

Jesus looked at him and loved him. He looks at us with eyes of love. Knowing our hearts, He beckons us to enter into a life of relationship with him that nothing in this world could ever match. Now when I read the words, "leave it all", I hear an invitation~ to come. Come to me, for all that you need and ever  could want is in Me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food on my table

Feelings of irrelevance

Eyes to Perceive