December 12 Hope in His Return

I was given a gift today of 30 minutes of silence. It wasn't the kind of silence I had expected. I was bound to the dental chair due to an unexpected filling that was needed. I had to fight a wandering mind as I sat in that chair this afternoon. The to-do list constantly threatens me and it was all I could do to keep from hyperventilating over all that I was trying to cram into today. We travel tomorrow to visit family which means there is a lot more than usual to finish. It's also nearly Christmas and I haven't all the gifts I need for special family members we will see. We have been back here for so few Christmases that it makes this one so much more sweet with our families.

Breathe in, Jenn, I am here. It was almost an audible whisper. The Holy Spirit spoke and thankfully I was still enough to listen. It takes getting me into a dental chair to get me to be still. Closing my eyes, God and I fellowshipped. I spoke of the heart burdens. The many things I will leave undone today because there simply isn't enough time. The people I am thinking about and want to call. God, you meet their needs. You alone can do that. The man standing at the corner holding a sign, a desperate cry for help of any kind. Two daughters whose father was called Home just in his prime. Lord, so many needs.

Christ came to meet our needs except those who He came to didn't know they had that kind of need. They knew they needed a King, a Messiah who would come and wipe away the Roman rule and establish peace. It's kind of how many of us are feeling now in our country. Moral standards are being revised, personal convictions are being reformed, and children are discussing things in schools that were unimaginable two decades ago. Seems every conversation that we have lately includes some discussion that leads to feelings of despair over our current situation. Messiah, come. And He has come. And He will come again.

The longing for His return is on each of our hearts as His children wait. And while we wait, we must not despair. He is our Hope not only for the days to come for our days right now.

O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food on my table

Feelings of irrelevance

Eyes to Perceive