December 14 When It Doesn't Make Sense

My heart is grieving today. As I helped my daughter write a paper this morning my phone alarm alerted me to news of a tragedy in Connecticut. While we were eating breakfast in California, a gunman walked into a small town school and shot 20 children and 7 others, including his own mom. Parents who said good bye to their children this morning were anticipating a family weekend ahead not news that their child is no more.  I'm struggling making sense of this. 

I look across the table to my own precious kids studiously working on their homework assignments and the sight of them takes my breath away. What if I was that parent? The mama who had carefully bought Christmas presents early tucking them under the tree hoping her curious kindergartener wouldn't be too curious. Her heart is breaking tonight and I have my four of my own in my arms tonight. 

I don't like pain and I don't think I'm alone when I say that I don't like suffering. In fact even though I shouldn't be, sometimes I'm afraid of it.  My fear comes because I am afraid of loss, and it's rooted in mistrust of God's love for me and for those I love. As I read the news tonight and am tempted to fear, I am reminded that prince of this world wants to trap all of us in fear. Evil is strong in the world, but the Lord is stronger. 

I wept as I read about this morning's tragedy. As a family we talked about how we need to feel the pain of such news, not to let our hearts be hardened to the news of others. Jesus told us that need to mourn with those who mourn. While I don't know the people by name, the Lord does. I can pray for comfort for those families and trust that the Lord will meet their needs through our prayers. 

Jesus came to restore our relationship with Him and one day He will return and restore all things to Himself. There will be no more tears and no more death. Will you join me in praying for these families?  For peace and comfort for those mothers and fathers, sibling and families who have lost loved ones this morning.  That those who don't know the Comforter yet would be drawn to the only One who can meet us in our darkest valleys. 

Jesus, You alone can comfort and we turn to You.

Counting my blessings this moment and thankful for today. Each moment is all that I know I have and I'll never be able to relive it again. How will I live today? 

Stronger (by Hillsong)
There is love that came for us

Humbled to a sinner's cross

You broke my shame and sinfulness

You rose again victorious



Faithfulness none can deny

Through the storm and through the fire

There is truth that sets me free

Jesus Christ who lives in me



You are stronger, You are stronger

Sin is broken, You have saved me

It is written, Christ is risen

Jesus You are Lord of all



No beginning and no end

You're my hope and my defense

You came to seek and save the lost

You paid it all upon the cross



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food on my table

Feelings of irrelevance

Eyes to Perceive