December 2 Hope

The Webster dictionary defines the word "hope"- as the desire for attainment, trust. This week of Advent focuses on Hope. I am struggling to hope. The struggle of my heart against discouragement is a daily thing. One moment I'm hopefully and happy, the next moment I am fighting for it again. Happiness and hopefulness are tied together in my heart, but I'm not sure they should be. 

It's raining this morning. It's the third storm of the week to hit our region and the clouds have been nothing but thick and heavy. It feels a bit that way in my soul. 

I am aware that at every moment I am challenged with the choice to hope, and trust in the Lord, or to trust in my own strength. A few days ago I encountered a situation that brought me from the highest peak to a very low valley. Hope seemed shrouded by stormy clouds and I couldn't see beyond that. I cried out to the Lord, asking Him for deliverance. He answered. What's my response when hard things hit? Abraham's example stands out to me today. His faith was counted as his righteousness. His faith pleased God. What's my response? 

True hope is in God's character. He is trustworthy. If feeling hopeful was dependent on feeling happy then hope would be only an emotion. I am caught in as struggle to hold fast to the truth of His character and person. Hope in my current circumstance is not a luxury, it's a necessity. My refuge today is in the God of all hope. I cling to Paul's words, ""we know the One in whom we have put our trust and are sure that He is able to guard until that day what we entrust to Him."

2 Corinthians 4:16-18  So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

Hope. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food on my table

Feelings of irrelevance

Not what I thought.... Advent Day 13