What Moves You?

I recently reset my home page to a generic page removing my news site from the first thing I see when I turn on my computer. It's not that I don't want to know what's going on in the world, but I found that the news didn't always drive my towards prayer which should be my response. I get more of a compact version of news over email these days and it has helped direct rather than distract me in my praying. Advent brought about deeper reflection for me on suffering and pain in the world, especially thinking about Christ's coming into a world very much like ours today. 

My daughter is writing a point of view essay and we were discussing the criteria for her paper and possible topics. It's supposed to be about something that moves me, mom. She informed me in her sweet mature tween way. That launched us into a discussion about things that cause a heart-stir, a movement in our heart. We laughed about her brothers, yes, they move her sometimes in a good way, other times in not so good ways. The homeless man on the street. The severely handicapped boy at the Christmas concert last week. Children who don't have parents who love them. People who don't know Jesus. People who are living without hope. 

I was amazed at the depth of discussion that I could have with my daughter, and even more challenged to think about the things she brought up. Her heart is soft and not calloused towards pain. Reading Philippians 1:9 this morning Paul writes, "And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment." Love with knowledge - be informed. Discernment- the ability to judge well (Websters) and biblical discernment is nothing more than the ability to decide between truth and error, right and wrong. 

Love with both knowledge and discernment will help us know what to do when things move us. I'm bringing this to the Lord again this morning and asking Him to give me this kind of love. Paul prayed for it for the church in Philippi and I pray this for myself, my family, and the people in my life. Paul says that it is in this way, "that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food on my table

Feelings of irrelevance

Eyes to Perceive